About Ad Choices
About Our Advertising
TechHive strives to deliver the most relevant content and ads to our readers. The advertising included on our site enables us to deliver the reporting resources required to create the high-quality journalism, research and analysis our audience expects from us.
Advertisements displayed on this site may be based on the content of pages you view or may be delivered by third parties and tailored to your interests. These third parties may also collect anonymous, non-personally identifiable information through cookies, Web beacons, and other technologies about your online activities on this site, in order to deliver advertisements that are relevant to your interests.
TechHive follows the Self Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral advertising. More information on the principles, and information and choices about interest-based advertising, can be found at the Self Regulatory Program site, including links to opt-out from services that deliver online behavioral ads.
This website and associated websites are maintained by:
c/o IDG Consumer & SMB, Inc.
501 Second St.
San Francisco, CA 94107
c/o IDG Consumer & SMB, Inc.
501 Second Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
Information we collect and how we use it
When you visit the TechHive Web site, TechHive collects several forms of usage data, including:
- Log data. Our servers automatically record certain information sent by your browser, such as your Web request, your Internet Protocol address, your referring URL, your browser type and language, and the date and time of your request.
- Traffic and advertising data. Other cookies are used to enable TechHive and our advertisers and service providers to gather and analyze site traffic and usage information, and to manage the content and advertisements presented. These cookies sometimes work in conjunction with other techniques, such as clear GIFs or pixel tags. The cookies placed by TechHive do not contain personally identifying information, but they may gather information about what sites and types of content you have visited and use that information to determine which content and ads appear when you visit various Web sites, including the TechHive site.
About Ads/Consumer Choice. TechHive follows the Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising. More information on the Principles, and information about interest-based advertising and how to opt-out can be found herehttp://www.aboutads.info/. To learn more about online interest-based advertising, privacy, cookies, you can also visit the website of the Network Advertising Initiative here. http://www.networkadvertising.org/index.asp
The aggregated information we collect is used for a number of purposes including the following:
- To improve the content and design of the TechHive Web site.
- To enable our audit bureau to verify our claims of traffic to the site.
- To help advertisers, potential advertisers or marketers assess the suitability of the site for their ad campaigns.
- To help us understand more about the interests of our users, so that we can offer goods and services we believe may be of interest.
Many portions of the TechHive site can be used without registering or giving us any personal information such as (but not limited to) your name and e-mail address. However, TechHive does collect personally identifying information regarding our online users, including in the following ways: When you provide it to us, such as (but not limited to) by entering a contest, becoming a registered member, buying a product, signing up for a newsletter, tutorial, or email or mobile alerts, or otherwise contacting us. When you provide it to a company that powers a portion of our site or provides a special feature, such as a contest registration or a white paper library, that appears on our site.
When you provide information about yourself or your company to TechHive in connection with a subscription order, or when you provide information to any other IDG Publishing Network affiliate, that information may be included in your TechHive user record, if one exists.
If you have previously registered with another IDG Publishing Network affiliate and you begin to fill out certain forms on the TechHive Web site, the site may recognize you and automatically complete the form, and this auto-fill data will then be included in your TechHive user record.
If you have provided information to TechHive, from time to time we may enhance that information with other information that we collect from third-party sources.
The personal information we collect may be linked to information regarding your use of the TechHive Site, such as which newsletters or alerts you subscribe to or which categories of white paper content you have downloaded. This combined data helps us recommend content to you and target our communications to topics that interest you. The personal information and related data may be used in a number of ways, including the following:
- To improve the content of the TechHive site, including by allowing TechHive’s editors to consult with readers.
- To communicate with users about registration and other customer service issues.
- To promote products and services of TechHive, our parent company IDG, and our sibling IDG companies, as described in more detail below.
- To conduct research surveys on behalf of TechHive, IDG, and its subsidiaries and affiliates.
TechHive may share aggregated, nonpersonal information, such as Web site traffic figures, with third parties. This aggregated information does not identify you individually. We may also share cookie data as described above (“Information we collect and how we use it”). Further, we may share personal information with your consent or in order to provide products or services you have requested. In addition, by using the site you agree that we may also share personal information in any of the following circumstances:
- We may use or disclose personal information if we have a good-faith belief that the disclosure is reasonably necessary (a) to satisfy applicable law, regulation, legal process, or enforceable governmental request, (b) to enforce agreements we have with you, (c) to address fraud or security issues, or (d) to protect against harm to the rights, property, or safety of TechHive or our employees or customers.
- In the case that disclosure is necessary to satisfy applicable law, regulation, legal process, or enforceable governmental request, we will notify you via email in advance of such disclosure, to the extent it is legally permissible for us to do so. We may share personal information with trusted affiliates or third parties, such as credit card processors or fulfillment providers, who process information or perform services on our behalf.
- In addition, we make available a large library of content provided to us from third parties. In return for access to this content, we may ask you to provide us with personal information. When accessing content contributed by a third party, your personal information may be shared with those third parties, and the information will be governed by those parties’ privacy policies as well as ours. TechHive, nor its parent company, or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, does not bear any responsibility for any actions or policies of such third parties. If you do not wish to have your information shared with a third party, please do not access third party content on our site.
Social Log-In. Social Login allows you to log into TechHive using your preferred social network user name and password. With Social Login, you don’t need to remember a new set of site credentials, or fill out additional registration forms. If you choose to log into your TechHive account using one of your social network accounts, such as Twitter, Google, Yahoo!, Facebook or Linked-In, your TechHive profile and connections information will be shared with your social network, and in turn, your social network will share your social network profile and connections with TechHive. The profile data that is shared with TechHive through your social network will vary based on which social network you use. Your social network may also offer data from your contacts list, however, TechHive does not capture, store, or share any data from a registrants contact list. Please refer to your social networks privacy policies for more information. Social Login on this site is provided by our partner, Gigya. Learn more about Social Login.
We may share information with third parties for promotional purposes, as described below.
In addition, you should be aware that when you disclose personal information such as your name or e-mail address in a forum, blog comment, or other area that is publicly accessible by others, that information can be collected and used by others. TechHive and its parent and affiliate companies are not responsible for any information that you provide in the above areas.
Use of data for promotions, and choices for personal information
When you provide your e-mail address to us, you agree to receive e-mail from TechHive, its sibling IDG companies, the IDG Publishing Network , as well as select third party offers; however, you can unsubscribe from these e-mails at any time simply by following the instructions at the bottom of the e-mail. Offers for which the e-mail address is rented and/or licensed for use are screened and the users are required to target their offers carefully.
You may have the opportunity to provide us with your mobile phone number, whether by responding to a form that asks for a mobile number or by using your phone to send us certain kinds of communications, such as a shortcode, SMS or other mobile message. We use your mobile phone number to provide the products and services you’ve specifically requested, such as content delivery to your phone, and for customer service regarding those products and services. We may use your mobile phone number to promote other products and services of TechHive and its sibling IDG companies if you have expressly consented to receive our promotions via your phone. Similarly, we may use your mobile phone number to promote products and services of carefully chosen third parties if you have expressly consented to receive third party promotions via your phone. Your preferences for receiving promotions via your mobile phone are separate from your preferences for receiving promotions via other means, and you can update your mobile phone preferences at any time simply by following the instructions included in the messages we send to your mobile phone. Please note that the privacy practices described in this paragraph apply only to mobile phone numbers provided to us in the ways described above. If you provide your mobile phone number in other contexts, such as by entering a mobile phone number in a form that asks for your home or business number, we will not be able to identify the number as a mobile number, and the practices described in this paragraph will not apply. Also, please be aware that many mobile phone companies recycle phone numbers, so if you have a new phone number it is possible that you might receive messages that the previous holder of the number had signed up for or consented to receive.
Postal addresses and telephone numbers (other than mobile phone numbers described above) will be used to promote TechHive and IDG companies products and services, and may be rented and/or licensed to selected outside firms for promotional purposes. Offers for which the postal addresses and telephone numbers are rented and/or licensed for use are screened and the users are required to target their offers carefully. Fax numbers may be used for surveys for TechHive and third parties, but are not rented and/or licensed to outside firms except as expressly set forth in this policy.
In addition to the methods outlined above, you may change your preferences regarding use of personal data by sending an e-mail to customerservice@TechHive.com. If you request that we terminate your registration and/or cancel your account, TechHive will delete your personal data that we have in our records.
If TechHive or any of its products is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of some or all of its assets, all personal information and other data will be transferred to the new owner.
About the IDG Publishing Network
The International Data Group, Inc. (IDG) family of on-line and print publications consists of hundreds of award-winning titles including TechHive, PCWorld, Macworld, CIO, CSO, and Network World. The IDG Publishing Network is a growing collection of IDG Web sites that presently includes techive.com, macworld.com, pcworld.com, cio.com, csoonline.com, infoworld.com, and networkworld.com. A complete listing is available at www.idg.com.
The IDG Publishing Network is intended for individuals age 13 and over. Personal information may not be provided by anyone under 13 years of age. Further no one under 13 years old may participate in the forums or chat rooms or any other areas where public discussions may take place. In addition no one under the age of 18 may conduct any transactions for the purposes of purchasing or selling any items. Parents should be sure that their children are not conducting any of the above activities on the IDG Publishing Network.
If you have any questions or comments regarding the IDG Publishing Network or its use of information please send email to email@example.com or write to us at IDG Publishing Network, C/O Customer Service, TSG, IDG Communications, Inc., 5 Speen St., Framingham, MA 01701.
Last updated June 1, 2012.